February 04, 2021
10 Skin Care Mistakes You're Probably Making
As much as we try to treat our skin the best we can, sometimes we’re actually making mistakes regarding our skin care routines without even knowing! Skin care can be complicated, but we’re here to call out some common skin care mistakes that you’re probably making.
1. You don’t know your skin type
- Many of us grew up with oily, acne-prone skin, but as we grew older, our skin has changed. Your skin care should too! If you’re still treating your skin how you did when you were in high school, even though your skin has gotten less oily and acne-prone, you could be using the wrong products for your skin. Reevaluate your skin type and make sure that the products you’re using are suitable for your true skin type! (Hint: you can take a quiz on our blog and/or Instagram to determine which one of our serums is best for you - Snail, Snake, or Bee!)
2. You’re not double-cleansing your skin
- Double-cleansing is the skin care method of washing your skin twice. Once with a micellar water or oil-based cleanser to remove all of your makeup and the dirt and bacteria that builds up on the surface of our skin throughout the day. The second wash is with your typical cleanser to actually cleanse your skin and prepare it for the rest of your skin care products. By skimping out on double-cleansing, you’re not getting the best possible results out of the rest of your skin care routine. Try double-cleansing for a week and you’ll never go back!
- Hello, it’s 2021 and we are NOT letting you forget sunscreen! Putting on SPF every single day (even if it’s overcast) helps protect your skin from sun damage and prevent wrinkles and sun spots. We’re all about prevention and then treatment! It’s never too late to start implementing sunscreen into your daily morning routine. In addition, during the summer months and other particularly sunny days, it’s crucial to reapply your sunscreen since it only lasts a few hours. This way, you’ll keep your skin protected!
- I used to only moisturize my skin at night since I thought moisturizing it in the morning would make it feel oily. But, moisturizing in the morning actually can help your makeup go on smoother and keep your skin from drying out or over-producing oil throughout the day! Our Snail Serum contains snail mucin, Hyadasine, and Niacinamide, making it incredibly moisturizing!
- It can be tempting to go all in with chemical exfoliants and scrubs to try to get the dirt and grime off of your skin, but exfoliating too much can lead to dry skin that’s irritated and inflamed. It can also lead to breakouts because your skin is trying to overcompensate with oil production!
- If you aren’t exfoliating at all or maybe just exfoliating a couple times a month, you’re not giving your skin the best chance to take in the benefits of your other products. By removing the dead skin and getting a deep clean, you will break-out less, see a decrease in blackheads, and notice more even, smooth skin. It’s recommended to exfoliate once or twice a week using a gentle exfoliant.
- In addition to over exfoliating, you can also be too harsh with your skin as you wash it and apply your skin care regimen. By tugging at our skin, we’re creating superficial wrinkles. It’s crucial to be gentle with your skin, especially around the eye area!
- The neck and chest show signs of aging just as much, if not more, than the face! Be sure to carry your skin care products (*cough, cough* our serums) down to your neck and chest as well to keep them looking young and healthy.
- Makeup brushes hold on to leftover makeup, bacteria, oil, and dead skin cells. You’re putting that all back onto your skin each time you do your makeup! By washing your makeup brushes more frequently, you’re limiting the amount of bacteria that comes into contact with your skin
- You rest your head on your pillowcase for around eight hours every night. If your pillowcase isn’t regularly cleaned, it will collect sweat, bacteria, oil, dirt, and more. This then leads to clogged pores and irritation.
And there you have it: 10 skin care mistakes that you’re probably making! Now you can use this new knowledge and our products to achieve the skin of your dreams!